If you’re planning to have artificial grass landscaping installed in your Sacramento home or business, it’s important to remember that you’ll need specialized tools and supplies to properly complete the installation process. Here are some of the supplies you’ll require:
- Infill: Used to fill the spaces between the blades of turf, infill consists of granular materials such as silica sand, rubber granules, or brands like Zeofill with their own proprietary design. Infill adds ballast, resilience, and a natural feel that lets it withstand daily traffic and activity.
- Seam Tools: One of the most essential and most difficult parts of a good artificial grass installation is proper seaming. Seams of artificial grass need to be secured to one another in a very specific way, and this is accomplished with specialized tape and glue that prevent unraveling and delamination of turf backings and yarns. Purchase seam tools, turf adhesive, and seam tape to best aid you in the seaming process.
- Nails and Staples: Most sub-base conditions require using specialized nails or staples that pin the turf in place. These secure the turf to the ground and keep it from being pulled up by strenuous activity.
- Weeds and Pest Protection: A metal mesh roll under the turf stops weeds from sprouting up from underneath. It also keeps backyard pests like gophers from burrowing up through the turf as well.
- Drainage: In order to allow water and other liquids like animal waste to drain away quickly, drainage mats are installed underneath the turf. Products such as AirDrain and Drain Core make synthetic turf’s drainage even more efficient and sweep away waste in record time in order to prevent the buildup of bacteria and foul odors.
- Project-Specific Accessories: If the artificial grass is being used for a specialized purpose such as a playground or putting green, the appropriate accessories will need to be installed as well. Playgrounds, for instance, often feature an IPEMA-certified foam underlayer beneath the grass that adds shock absorbency and prevents children from hurting themselves when they fall.
Artificial lawns are far less maintenance-intensive than natural grass, but they do need to be tended to. Luckily, SGW Sacramento carries several turf maintenance products that make upkeep a breeze.
- Odor Neutralizer: If you have pets, you’ll want to clean the area quickly, and you may, over time, require an odor neutralizer product such as Turf Fresh to keep your lawn smelling nice. These products are sprays that can be applied as needed to your synthetic grass lawn. They are environmentally friendly, non-toxic, and completely safe for kids and pets.
- Turf Rake or Brush: Once every three months, your synthetic grass should be brushed with a push broom against the grain to eliminate debris and dust and stabilize the fibers. Be sure to use a brush with synthetic bristles rather than metal, as metal can damage the polyethylene turf blades.
If you’re a Sacramento resident or contractor looking for a wholesale source for synthetic turf, SGW Sacramento has you covered. We’re the premier synthetic grass distributor for the Sacramento area and carry everything you need to perform top-of-the-line installations. If you’re interested in learning more about our products, requesting free samples, or taking a course on synthetic turf installation, call us today at (916) 797-0682.